Saturday, February 25, 2012

THE EIFFEL TOWER VANISHED?

Last October I spent two weeks in Paris and rented an apartment in the 7th arrondissement with a wonderful view of the Eiffel Tower. At night, when it was lit up, it was magical, but every hour when the lights started to twinkle, it was breath taking.

When I lived in Paris for four years during my student years, I never paid much attention to it, to me is was just a tourist attraction and a bit "kitschy". But now, it has come to symbolize Paris to me. I never went to the top until I went back to Paris as a tourist with my husband and he wanted to see the view of Paris from the top. To my great horror I discovered that I had a fear of heights when we arrived at the top. My knees started shaking and I had to literally crawl down backwards the top stairs. The fear of heights has staid with me, unfortunately. Now I am content to see the tower twinkling at night with my feet on the ground.

The photo above was taken the night before I flew back to Los Angeles.

When I woke up early the next morning to catch a flight to Los Angeles, I could not believe my eyes. The Eiffel Tower had vanished!

But slowly it started to emerge from the fog.



And before I said good bye to my apartment and Paris, I was reassured that the tower was still there.

No comments:

Post a Comment